Three men who meticulously planned and carried out the kidnapping of a Jewish-Israeli music producer in Wales have been sentenced to over eight years in prison.
Faiz Shah, 23, Mohammad Comrie, 23, and Elijah Ogunnubi-Sime, 20, orchestrated the attack via a Telegram group chat before executing their plan on August 26 last year.
Lured under false pretenses
The victim, London-based music producer Itay Kashti, was deceived into traveling to a remote cottage in west Wales under the belief that he was attending a music workshop. The perpetrators posed as representatives of a reputable music production company and used stolen identities to rent the property in Brynteg, Llanybydder, for a week.
Upon Kashti’s arrival in a taxi, the kidnappers—wearing masks—ambushed him and the taxi driver. The driver managed to escape, raising the alarm, which forced the attackers to flee.
Arrest and sentencing
Police quickly located the three men hiding in nearby fields. They later pleaded guilty to charges of kidnapping.
At Swansea Crown Court, Judge Catherine Richards sentenced Shah, from Leeds, and Comrie, from Bradford, to eight years and one month in prison. Ogunnubi-Sime, from Wallington, received the same sentence in a detention facility.
The judge ruled that the crime was influenced by “events taking place elsewhere in the world” and imposed a 15-year restraining order on the offenders.
A targeted and sophisticated attack
Describing the incident as “highly sophisticated,” Judge Richards emphasized that the victim was chosen due to his Jewish heritage and perceived wealth.
Kashti, who had conducted background checks on the supposed company before agreeing to travel, fell victim to an elaborate scheme involving stolen financial documents, multiple mobile phones, and escape route planning. The gang also intended to use cryptocurrency to launder any ransom money they obtained.
At the cottage, the attackers assaulted Kashti, handcuffed him to a radiator, and threatened his life. Prosecutors revealed that messages between the defendants referenced using ketamine to subdue him. An imitation firearm was also found at the scene.
The judge stated, “The victim thought he was going to die. This ordeal is something he will have to live with.”
Victim’s ordeal
In a statement, Kashti likened the attack to his “own personal October 7,” referring to the Hamas-led assault on Israel.
“I was kicked in the head multiple times, handcuffed to a radiator, and told I would be killed if I tried to escape,” he said. He later managed to free himself and hid in nearby bushes before calling his wife, who contacted the police.
Forensic images showed bloodstains on the cottage floor, along with cable ties used to restrain him.
Hate-motivated crime
Prosecutors revealed that the kidnappers discussed Kashti’s Jewish background in their messages, referencing his alleged participation in “pro-Israeli marches” and making remarks about “Palestinian land.”
Judge Richards condemned the group’s motivation, saying, “You justified your actions based on his background, as if he was less worthy of your respect and compassion. That is utterly abhorrent.”
Community Response
Following the sentencing, Mark Gardner, CEO of the Community Security Trust (CST), thanked prosecutors and warned that the combination of criminal intent and antisemitic hatred “could have resulted in a far worse, even fatal, outcome.”
Dyfed-Powys Police Inspector Gareth Jones described the impact of the crime as “harrowing” and commended Kashti’s bravery in assisting the investigation.
“This sentence reflects the severity of the offence and the ordeal the victim suffered. We hope it gives him a sense of justice,” he said. Photo by Jon Candy, Wikimedia commons.